The entrance to the Sisi Museum and the Imperial Apartments.
Trabant Guards Room
Coming from the Emperor’s Staircase the visitor entered this room in which the Trabanten lifeguards kept watch night and day.
Audience Waiting Room
Emperor Franz Joseph gave general audiences twice a week, at which any of the subjects of his empire could attend to present a matter of their concern to the emperor.
Over the course of his long reign, Franz Joseph gave audiences to around 260,000 individuals.
This room was used for the ministerial conferences which were always chaired by the emperor. It could also be entered from the room occupied by the duty aide-de-camp, who announced the presence of the ministers to the emperor.
‘As soon as the children were capable of eating on their own they were allowed to lunch with him in his study – often as many as eight at a time.’
When the imperial couple moved into separate bedrooms, Franz Joseph had a portable brown-painted iron bedstead set up in this room, an arrangement he also used at Schönbrunn, Budapest, Laxenburg, Bad Ischl and Gödöllö.
"… he [i.e. Franz Joseph] liked dallying in these small drawing rooms when he was visited by his family, his brother, his grandchildren, nephews etc. There in their company he would take a cup of tea at the twilight hour, chatting with them, and above all, enquiring after their wishes…"
The Small Salon served as a smoking room and is today a memorial room to Emperor Maximilian of Mexico.
Living Room & Bedroom
Originally this room was the bedroom of the imperial couple. In 1870 Franz Joseph moved into a separate bedroom in the Imperial Chancellery Wing.
Dressing & Exercise Room
The Dressing Room/Exercise Room was where Elisabeth spent most of her time. This was where her day began, in the winter at six o’clock in the morning, starting with her daily hair-dressing ritual.
Lavatory and Bathroom
Facing the Amalia Wing courtyard, behind the Dressing Room, are the empress’s Lavatory and Bathroom, which were refurbished in 1876 during Elisabeth’s occupancy.
This rooms are painted with trompe l’oeil landscape murals commissioned by Empress Maria Theresa and executed by Johann Wenzel Bergl.
Large Salon of Empress Elisabeth
This room was used by Elisabeth as a reception room. When the empress was resident at the Hofburg, the imperial couple occasionally took breakfast together in this room.
Small Salon of Empress Elisabeth
During Elisabeth’s time this room was used as an additional reception room.
Originally Empress Elisabeth’s apartments were accessed via the Eagle Stairs, which connected the Leopoldine Wing and the Amalia Wing. When the Leopoldine Wing was converted into the offices of the Federal President in 1946 access to the Imperial Apartments was blocked up.
Alexander Apartments & Red Salon
The Alexander Apartments were used by Empress Elisabeth for dinners and receptions.
Once a week on Sunday the imperial family foregathered at a family dinner, which every Habsburg currently in Vienna was obliged to attend.